Saturday 17th February


BEADS  2 V  4 St Marys 1947
Redcar Newmarket  3 V  2 Nunthorpe Athletic
Staithes Athletic  4 V  4 Fishburn Park
Stockton West End  5 V  1 Grangetown Boys Club
Yarm & Eaglescliffe  1 V  6 Guisborough United
Bedale  P V  P Stokesley Sports Club Armstrong Richardson
Great Ayton United Royals  3 V  1 Loftus Athletic
Lingdale Village  3 V  1 Redcar Athletic Reserves
Middlesbrough & Teesside Sports Academy  P V  P Whitby Fishermens Society
New Marske Lakes United  1 V  3 Stokesley Sports Club Reserves
Sunday 18th February


North Riding Football League  5 V  2 Isle Of Man FA
Hartlepool FC  P V  P Redcar Newmarket
Boro Rangers  P V  P Thornaby
Hartlepool Pools Youth  P V  P Coulby Newham
Middleton Rangers  P V  P Guisborough Town
Richmond Town  8 V  2 Billingham Synthonia
Kader  6 V aet  3 Northallerton Town
A big congratulation go out to the players and management team of the North Riding Football League as they beat the Isle of Man League 5-2 on Sunday afternoon to earn a semi final tie away to the Amateur Football Combination.

The NRFL took the lead in the twelfth minute when Nathan Liddell leapt to meet a Nico Weatherald corner to put the home side in front. The Isle of Man tried to get back in the game and this eventually told on 36 minutes when a ball down the right found Frank Jones to turn home the equaliser.  Seven minutes into the second half, after some scrappy play, saw Weatherald play a free-kick into the penalty area and the ball fell to James Dillon who lashed home to put the home side back in front.  Again the Isle of Man battled back and some last ditch defending saw the home side keep their noses in front. On 74 minutes, the sides were level again as a long ball down the right found Lee Gale and his cross was flicked home at the near post by Michael Williams. A quick attack, four minutes later, saw Joel and Jack Guy combine down the right, before the ball was played into Matt McQueeney, who was upended in the 18-yard box. Weatherald stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and to put the home side in front for a third time. Two minutes later the ball was played down the left and McQueeney danced past a couple of defenders before laying the ball into the path of Jack Guy, who gleefully lashed home a fourth goal for the hosts. The visitors began to push more people forward, but they were punished as McQueeney fed Weatherald on the right and he stood the ball up for Stuart Rose to seal victory as he headed home.

Elsewhere, in the only game in the NRFL Under 19 Division, Richmond Town thumped Billingham Synthonia 8-2 to go fourth. Alfie Thompson and Simeon Cromarty both hammered in hat-tricks, with Oli Mann and Jonny Carr also hitting the net. Synners replied through Callum Daniels and Luke Duffy.
In the RT Raine Trophy, Kader advanced after extra-time drama with Northallerton Town. Lucas Brown lashed in a hat-trick, with Connor Harris, Adam Campbell and Rob Clark all on the scoresheet. Jack Stapley struck twice for Northallerton, with Will Marriott scoring the other. The sides were locked at 2-2 after 90 minutes, but their Middlesbrough opponents proved too strong, eventually triumphing 6-3.

Saturday’s action saw a thrilling derby in the Premier Division saw third-placed Fishburn Park grab a last-gasp equaliser, at local rivals Staithes Athletic, to go within four points of leaders Boro Rangers. Sam Richardson gave Park the lead on 12 minutes, after a defensive error, but Lewis Calvert equalised within 5 mins for Athletic. Joe Crowther restored the Whitby’s lead, just before the half hour, only for a James Armstrong header, moments later, to make it 2-2. A well-taken solo goal from Carl Flatters gave Staithes the lead for the first time, 3-2, going into half-time. Armstrong and Fishburn’s Callum Halley then clashed early in the second half and both received straight red cards. Jake Faichney equalised for Park, with 20 minutes left. However, within minutes, Jake Thompson restored Staithes’ advantage, 4-3. The villagers had chances to kill it off but there was a sting in the tail, after a long period of added time ended with Faichney making it 4-4. Staithes’ Ryan Thompson saw red in the aftermath. 

Fourth-placed Redcar Newmarket won a five-goal shoot-out at bottom club Nunthorpe Athletic. Luke Smithyman and Scott Webb were on target for Athletic, but the division’s leading scorer Michael Dowse hammered in a hat-trick to move to 20 goals for the season as Newmarket edged home 3-2.
St Marys 1947 are fifth after a 4-2 win at BEADS. Michael Shellard put the hosts ahead, inside ten minutes, but Paul Vaughan sent the sides in level at the break. Two goals in five minutes, around the hour mark, saw Vaughan complete his hat-trick and the Saints race into a 3-1 lead. Kyle Frost quickly reduced the arrears for the Middlesbrough outfit to 3-2, but Chris Peacock slotted in the winner, fifteen minutes from time, to send the points back to Yarm.
Stockton West End, in sixth, continued their winning run. They are eleven points behind Rangers, with two games in hand. Sean Harland grabbed a consolation for strugglers Grangetown Boys Club, while hosts West End fired five, through Carl Williams, Sean O’Brien and Ben Turner’s hat-trick.
Guisborough United gave the Premier Division’s other Yarm side a harsh lesson, with a 6-1 thumping. Sean Mackin was on target for Yarm and Eaglescliffe but Lewis Reeve’s treble, alongside goals from Dean Wilson, Liam Fox and Paul Young completed a great outing for United.
In the First Division, Great Ayton United Royals leapfrogged rivals Bedale, who saw their match with Stokesley Armstrong Richardson postponed, to go top. Shaun Muir opened the scoring, on six minutes, for visitors Loftus Athletic, from a 20-yard free-kick. However, Ash Woodier turned things around with a brace, for Ayton, before half-time. Jake Gordon’s individual effort settled a well-contested clash, 18 minutes from time.
Redcar Athletic Reserves suffered a rare defeat when Lingdale Village put them to the sword by three goals to one. Ste Combellack belted in a brace, with Ryan Pebbles also on target. Redcar replied through Aaron Dale.
New Marske Lakes United suffered a blow to their promotion hopes after losing out 3-1 at home to an impressive Stokesley Sports Club Reserves. John Cairns put Stokesley ahead from the penalty spot, midway through the first half, after Sam Pears was upended. Kieran Stares then levelled for Lakes with a wonder goal from the halfway line. Undeterred, Charlie Brady restored the hosts’ advantage, before half-time. James Brodie-Myers then ensured all three points for Stokesley’s second string, with a 25-yard free-kick, eleven minutes into the second half.

Andrew Snaith
Media Officer
North Riding Football league


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.