RESULTS AND REPORTS- 24th & 25th February 2018

Saturday 24th February


2.00pm kick-off

Nunthorpe Athletic  1 V  4 Guisborough United
Yarm & Eaglescliffe  1 V  2 Boro Rangers

2.00pm kick-off

BEADS  4 V  5 Whitby Fishermens Society
Bedale  4 V  1 Staithes Athletic
Fishburn Park  0p V  0 Redcar Town
Redcar Athletic Reserves  3 V  1 Grangetown Boys Club
Stockton West End  3 V  0 Redcar Newmarket
Thornaby Dubliners  5 V  0 Stokesley Sports Club Reserves

2.00pm kick-off

Loftus Athletic  2 V  1 Lingdale Village
New Marske Lakes United  3 V  1 Great Ayton United Royals
Sunday 25th February


2.00pm kick-off

Coulby Newham 6 V 3 Hartlepool Pools Youth
Northallerton Town 1 V 10 Billingham Synthonia
Redcar Newmarket  3 V  4 Boro Rangers
Richmond Town  0 V  1 Kader

2.00pm kick-off

Guisborough Town 3 V 1 Nunthorpe Athleti


Boro Rangers extended their advantage at the top of the North Riding Football League Premier Division after a narrow win at Yarm and Eaglescliffe, on Saturday. Ben Wheatley’s men struck through Paul Blake and skipper Nathan Liddell, Yarm reduced the arrears from the penalty spot, through Mike Mackin, but it wasn’t quite enough.

The other top tier tie saw Guisborough United enjoy a comfortable 4-1 victory at struggling Nunthorpe Athletic. Liam Fox, Morgan Corner, Lewis Minter and ex-Guisborough Town defender Paul Roddam struck for the visitors, with Tom Atkinson missing a penalty for Nunthorpe, though Scott Webb did net a consolation for the home side.

There were only two games in the First Division too. Fourth placed New Marske Lakes United got their promotion challenge back on track with a 3-1 victory over leaders Great Ayton United Royals. They now only trail United by six points, with two games in hand. After an even, goal-less first half, Lakes struck first, early in the second, when captain Robbie Farrier fired in Den Goldthorpe’s flick on. The visitors levelled, within six minutes, when Caleb White nodded home a 28-yard free-kick. After an offside call against them, New Marske regained the lead when Kieran Stares beat three men before finding the net. Then, with three minutes left, goalkeeper Dom Yeates’ long clearance was latched onto by Isam Benomran, who made no mistake, for 3-1.   

Loftus Athletic triumphed 2-1 over neighbours Lingdale Village. Loftus took the lead through a direct corner from Luke Woodall, after 10 minutes, in a scrappy but end-to-end game. Lingdale equalised five minutes later through Ryan Peebles and it wasn’t until the 85th minute that 17-year-old man of the match Woodall sealed it, for the hosts, with a fine finish.

There was a full round of MacMillan Bowl action, including a number of upsets. A real nine-goal thriller saw Division One Whitby Fishermens Society crack in two goals in eight minutes to stun Premier Division BEADS. Goals from Karl Liley and Ashley McCarthy gave the Middlesbrough side an early advantage, in the opening 15 minutes, at Broadwell Road. Matty Wyke struck a third before the break, but Karl Storr’s hat-trick got the Fishermens level at 3-3. Wyke’s second regained BEADS the lead, before Sam Dowey and Owen Britton shocked the hosts late on.

First division Bedale also sprang an upset with a 4-1 thumping of top tier Staithes Athletic. Ross Hodgson struck yet another early goal for the home side, inside two minutes. Hodgson then doubled the promotion-chasers’ advantage, midway through the first half. He completed his hat-trick eleven minutes into the second period. Carl Flatters gave Athletic hope, just after the hour, but Callum Fletcher’s reply, seconds later, put the stamp on a terrific performance and 4-1 win.

Redcar Athletic Reserves were the third second-tier side to progress. Robbie McCarthy’s men notched through James Ascoughs, McCorie Carmichael and Sam Webster. Michael Pickles replied for premier division visitors, Grangetown Boys Club.

There were no shocks at Thornaby, however, where the Dubliners eased past Stokesley Reserves 5-0. Dubs raced into a 2-0 half-time lead, with Anton Buchan’s hat-trick and Harrison Davies’ brace ensured they went nap, after the interval. Stokesley’s awful run with injuries sadly continued with Phil Watson taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg.
Stockton West End kept up their strong recent form as they saw off fellow Premier opponents Redcar Newmarket, 3-0. Michael McLaughlin, Jake Large and Ben Turner were on target for West End, at North Shore Academy.
Finally, on Saturday, third and second in the Premier Division met at Broomfield Park, Whitby. Hosts Fishburn Park held Redcar Town 0-0 before triumphing 4-2 on penalties. After joint player-boss Andrew Park scored the home side’s fourth spot kick, young goalkeeper Kieran Noble took centre stage by saving Redcar’s next, crucial penalty.
Sunday saw Guisborough Town book their place in the North Riding Under 19 cup final, against Polton Under 18s. The Priorymen put Nunthorpe Athletic to the sword thanks to goals from Owen Armstrong (2) and John Howard. 
As a result, Boro Rangers leapfrogged Town at the top of the NRFL Under 19 Division, after edging a seven-goal thriller. An Isaac Walker hat-trick and James Mahoney’s goal helped Rangers go a point ahead of their rivals, having played two games more. Hosts Redcar Newmarket struck through Leon Bellerby’s brace and Jack Spencer, but it wasn’t enough to avoid a 4-3 defeat.
Kader edged out Richmond Town to take their fourth spot in a hard-fought encounter. After a determined defensive display, the Middlesbrough side won it late on through Rob Clark’s strike.
Billingham Synthonia hit double figures at Northallerton Town. Luke Duffy netted five of the Synners’ ten, with Connor Wild and James Cartwright firing two apiece and Callum Daniels providing the other. Town’s consolation came from Sam Tosh.
Coulby Newham and visitors Hartlepool Pools Youth shared nine goals as the hosts ran out 6-3 victors, in a three-times-postponed clash. Coulby were on top in the first half, but only went in 1-0 up, at the break, through a Lee Riley effort. Pools levelled early in the second half but Alex Clark struck two quick goals as Coulby took a 3-1 lead. A superb free kick made it 3-2, but Coulby went further ahead with goals from Jay Parkin and Josh Millington. Pools hit back again, but the game was secured when Riley fired in a penalty. Pools scorers were Elliott Campbell, Jack Gardner and Harrison Olive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.