Results and reports- Sat 26th & Sun 27th Jan

Saturday 26th January
North Riding Football League Premier Division

Boro Rangers 6-1 Thornaby Dubliners
Grangetown Boys Club 3-2 BEADS
New Marske 1-1 Stokesley Sports Club
Redcar Newmarket 1-3 Staithes Athletic
Stockton West End 1-0 Bedale
Yarm & Eaglescliffe 3-1 Fishburn Park

Yorkshire Old Boys Shield Second Round
North Cave 2-3 St Marys 1947

North Riding Football League First Division
Great Ayton United Royals 6-2 Stokesley AFC
Middlesbrough Rovers 0-8 Lingdale Village
Loftus Athletic 9-5 Redcar Athletic Reserves
Whitby Fishermans Society 3-1 Stokesley Sports Club Reserves
TS1 Tees Valley Tigers 2-3 Thirsk Falcons

Sunday 27th January
North Riding Football League Under 19 Division

Grangetown Boys Club 1-5 Nunthorpe
Redcar Newmarket A-A Coulby Newham
TIBS 3-2 Guisborough Town

Stockton West End continue to lead the way in the North Riding Football League Premier Division after another hard-fought win. Michael McLaughlin was man of the match for West End, but it was Gaz Poole’s 80th minute winner that finally saw off a plucky Bedale side.

Boro Rangers are right on the leaders’ tail, six points behind with a game in hand and an imposing goal difference. That was only strengthened after a 6-1 thumping of then-third-placed Thornaby Dubliners. Stu Rose was man of the match after his hat-trick, with Phil Horsman, Steve Keenan and Clayton McDonald also on target. Dubs netted through Russell Spence.

Yarm & Eaglescliffe leapfrogged Dubliners with a 3-1 home success over Fishburn Park. Matty Jenkinson was the hosts’ star man, with a brace, though it was Matty Dixon’s goal that opened the scoring. Andrew Menzies responded for the Whitby-based visitors.

Grangetown are up to sixth after edging past BEADS in a five-goal thriller. Anthony Jones, Liam Cooper and Dec Morrison netted for the Boys Club, while their Middlesbrough visitors notched through Chris Errington and Alex Brown, but couldn’t avoid a 3-2 defeat.

Staithes Athletic wrapped up a two-week double over Redcar Newmarket after back-to-back victories. With Staithes already 3-0 up by half-time, Jamie Graham’s impressive strike, with 20 minutes remaining, wasn’t enough to prevent a 3-1 reverse. Ryan Cane put Athletic ahead after eleven minutes, a Marcus Wood’s own goal, seven minutes before the break, made it 2-0, with Brett Dobson making it three, just before the interval.

New Marske cut the gap on second-bottom BEADS to four points after a 1-1 draw with Stokesley Sports Club. Blue Addison grabbed their goal. Debutant Danny Jones struck a penalty for Stokesley.

First Division leaders Stokesley Reserves suffered a rare defeat, at the weekend, at Whitby Fishermens Society. Jake Faichney netted twice and although Charlie Brady pulled one back 18 minutes from time, Jord Purvis made sure at the Lythe Sports Ground.

Great Ayton United Royals defeated the leaders’ local rivals Stokesley AFC 6-2 to go within two points, albeit having played two games more. AFC took the lead on 20 minutes through Jack Boddy, which they held until an own goal on the stroke of half-time. A three-goal flurry in 12 minutes, early in the second period, put Ayton in control. Five minutes after the restart, Ash Woodier netted with Isaac White making it 3-1, soon after and Woodier added his second, just after the hour. Mark Shimwell made it 6-1 late on, with a brace from open play and the penalty spot, though there was also enough time for Boddy to pull a second goal back.

Thirsk Falcons are looking dangerous in third after seeing off fellow promotion chasers Tees Tigers, 3-2, whose goals were both scored by Nathan Walls. Callum Manson’s goal and Tom McDowell’s brace did the business for Falcons.

A bizarre encounter saw Loftus Athletic and Redcar Athletic Reserves share 14 goals. Loftus took the honours 9-5 with Carl Flatters and Jordan Rowe both striking hat-tricks. There were further goals for Chris Morrison, Jordan Woodall and substitute Lee Preston. Redcar notched through braces from Owen Clarkson and Jake Lance, plus a James Ascough strike.

There were plenty of goals but it was all one way as Middlesbrough Rovers couldn’t build on last week’s victory. They went down 8-0 at home to Lingdale Village. Reece Kelly hammered in a hat-trick, with Dean Wilson scoring twice and further goals from Curtis Wilson, Bri Combellack and Michael Mayberry.

Sunday saw three games take place, but only two finish as Redcar Newmarket’s home clash with Coulby Newham was abandoned.

Elsewhere, previous leaders Grangetown suffered a shock 5-1 home defeat to Nunthorpe, allowing Thornaby and Ingleby Barwick to leapfrog them into top spot with a 3-2 win over defending champions Guisborough Town, thanks to a Leo Bullock hat-trick. TIBS remain unbeaten, though Redcar Athletic and Grangetown are both level on points with all three being new sides this season.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.