Results and reports- Sat 9th, Sun 10th & Weds 13th Feb 2019

Saturday 9th February
North Riding Football League Premier Division

Fishburn Park P-P Boro Rangers
Grangetown Boys Club 3-0 New Marske
Kader 5-5 Redcar Newmarket
St Marys 1947 1-1 Guisborough Town Reserves
Staithes Athletic 4-1 Bedale

North Riding County Cup Semi Finals
Redcar Town P-P Thornaby Dubliners
Yarm & Eaglescliffe 1-1 Huntington Rovers (Yarm win 6-5 on pens)

North Riding Challenge Cup Quarter Finals
Thirsk Falcons P-P Newlands Park

D & G Trophy
Lingdale Village 1-8 Stokesley Reserves
Loftus Athletic 1-2 Stokesley AFC
Loftus FC 0-9 Whitby Fishermens Society

Sunday 10th February
North Riding Football League Under 19 Division

Guisborough Town 8-2 Coulby Newham
Redcar Athletic 1-2 Redcar Newmarket
Seaton Carew 0-1 Nunthorpe
TIBS 1-4 Grangetown Boys Club

Wednesday 13th February
North Riding Football League Premier Division

Stokesley Sports Club 1-8 Bedale

Yarm and Eaglescliffe ensured a North Riding Football League side will lift the County Cup again this year. Following on from Boro Rangers, last season, it’ll be the Conyers School side taking on either Thornaby Dubliners or Redcar Town. That match was postponed, but Yarm’s game survived as they beat York League Huntington on penalties. Matty Jenkinson turned home Ian Danby’s cross as Yarm earned spot kicks. Despite missing one, the hosts took the spoils 6-5 as Elliot Longstaff slotted in the winner.

In the Premier Division, eyes were on the bottom half of the table. A ten-goal thriller saw third-bottom Kader denied a crucial three points in their battle against the drop. Carl Williams smashed in four as the Middlesbrough side led visitors Redcar Newmarket 5-1 at the interval. But a further Williams goal was disallowed as a penalty was awarded, which was duly missed. Newmarket roared back in the second half, as the league’s top scorer Michael Dowse hit two, with a brace for Marcus Wood and a Jamie Graham strike clinching a share for ten-man Newmarket.

New Marske missed the opportunity to close the gap on second-bottom BEADS, who didn’t have a game. The basement outfit lost out 3-0 at Grangetown Boys Club, after Ben Martin hammered a hat-trick.

Staithes Athletic continued to ease to safety as their fine run was extended at home to Bedale. Ryan Cane opened the scoring, for Athletic, after just five minutes and Connor Hood doubled the lead, ten minutes later. Hood made it 3-0, before Ross Hodgson pulled a goal back just before the break. Just moments into the second half, Hood completed a superb treble to wrap up the points.

The other top flight clash saw St Marys 1947 and Guisborough Town Reserves battle to a 1-1 draw. Marcellis Kerr netted for the Priorymen with Matty Calvert firing the Saints’ leveller.

Whitby Fishermens were the big winners in the three D & G Trophy ties on Saturday. The Lythe-based side put nine past hosts Loftus FC, with Sam Dowey and James Armstrong both hitting hat-tricks. Jake Faichney netted twice with Jord Purvis striking the other.

Stokesley Reserves also won comfortably on their travels, this time, at Lingdale Village. John Cairnes kicked things off with a sixth minute opener, with James Brodie-Myers and Sam Myers making it three before half-time. Matty Lazenby netted within three minutes of his half-time introduction, with Charlie Brady hitting two in five minutes, just after the hour. Harley Clark celebrated his return from three months out with a seventh and Matty Robson made it eight, six minutes from time.

It was a much tighter affair in Saturday’s other game as Stokesley AFC sneaked home 2-1 at Loftus Athletic. Depleted Stokesley had 50-year-old manager Davy Howe in midfield, but it was Sam Wilson’s first half brace that won it for the visitors. This despite Carl Flatters’ reply.

Sunday’s NRFL Under 19 action saw Thornaby & Ingleby Barwick lose their unbeaten record to a rampant Grangetown who went back to the top with a 4-1 win.

Elsewhere, Redcar Athletic missed out on the opportunity to take advantage, as neighbours Redcar Newmarket won 2-1 on their short travels- Leon Bellerby netted twice, while Ross Cole replied. Nunthorpe did close the gap, however, with a 1-0 victory at Seaton Carew.

The day’s other game saw Guisborough Town thump Coulby Newham 8-2 at the KGV.

The one midweek encounter also had an emphatic look as Bedale thumped ten-man Stokesley 8-1, at Broughton Road. Two Dale stars hit hat-tricks with Ross Hodgson putting the visitors ahead inside nine minutes. However, within three minutes, Ryan Leslie levelled for Sports Club. Dan Caisley put Bedale back ahead, just after the half hour and a red card just before half-time, gave the away side further encouragement. Just after the hour, Hodgson hit his second and Bedale’s third. Two goals in three minutes gave Caisley his hat-trick and effectively ended the contest. Dale added three more in the last eleven minutes. Col Anderson slotted a sixth, with Hodgson completing his treble and Joe Martin rounded off the rout.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.