Results and reports- Sat 23rd & Sun 24th Feb

Saturday 23rd February 2019
North Riding Football League Premier Division
BEADS 6-0 Fishburn Park
Guisborough Town Res 4-2 Bedale
Grangetown Boys Club 4-0 Kader
Redcar Town 0-3 Boro Rangers
Staithes Athletic 1-4 Yarm & Eaglescliffe
Stockton West End 7-1 New Marske
Thornaby Dubliners 1-1 Stokesley Sports Club

Yorkshire Old Boys Shield
Farsley Celtic 4-2 Redcar Newmarket
St Marys 1947 4-4p AAK

North Riding Football League Division One
Lingdale Village 3-1 Great Ayton United Royals
Stokesley AFC 1-3 Thirsk Falcons
Tees Valley Tigers 2-1 Stokesley Sports Club Reserves
Whitby Fishermens Society 10-3 Middlesbrough Rovers

Sunday 24th February 2019
North Riding Football League Under 19 Division
Coulby Newham 2-4 TIBS
Nunthorpe 1-1 Seaton Carew

Stockton West End stay on top of the North Riding Football League after a 7-1 thumping of bottom club New Marske. Peter Caveney hit two, with Chris Peacock, Jake Large, John Leyshon, Sean O’Brien and Josh Haley on target. Jack Smith’s strike was a mere consolation for the strugglers.

Boro Rangers, in second, continue their efforts to retain the title. They won 3-0 at Redcar Town as Stu Rose, Matty McQueeney and Robbie Keenan scored, with Phil Horsman their man of the match.

Yarm & Eaglescliffe ended Staithes Athletic’s five-match unbeaten run with a 4-1 victory, at Seaton Crescent. Staithes started well and Richie Playforth had a goal ruled out. Then Matty Dixon broke the deadlock for Yarm on 20 minutes and Dom Tiffany made it 2-0, ten minutes before half-time. Connor Hood pulled one back for Athletic, just after the hour, before the unlucky Playforth had a second goal ruled out, for offside. Dixon then got a second and Cameron Wild wrapped it up late on for Yarm.

The biggest shock of the day saw second-bottom BEADS go within two points of Stokesley Sports Club as they thumped Fishburn Park 6-0. Robson Jinks rattled in four goals, with Carl Matthews striking the other two.

Stokesley, meanwhile, picked up an excellent point on their travels, at Thornaby Dubliners. Dubs took the lead, in the first half, through Liam Southall, but Chris Lax’s men levelled to take a share of the spoils through Joel Gordon.

Kader are just two points further up and suffered a potentially-costly 4-0 loss at Grangetown Boys Club. Ben Martin blasted in two, with Mark Ward and Ryan Emmerson also on target.

Elsewhere, despite David Cooke’s 12 minute opener, for visitors Bedale, John Howard’s hat-trick and a Marcellis Kerr goal helped Guisborough Town Reserves to a 4-2 win. Colin Anderson nodded home from Mikey Stevens’ cross in-between.

The First Division promotion race is highly intriguing. Thirsk Falcons returned to the top after a 3-1 win at Stokesley Athletic, who netted through Joe Robson.

That result took Falcons above Athletic’s rivals Stokesley Sports Club Reserves, who lost out 2-1 at Tees Valley Tigers, another promotion contender, in fourth. The hosts netted twice early in the second half through Isam Benomran and Mark Banks, so despite John Cairnes’ goal late on, the away side couldn’t pull things back.

Despite sitting third, Great Ayton United Royals look a long shot after a loss at Lingdale Village. Royals have two games left to play and took the lead through Karl Wellard. Ben Crooks ensured Lingdale would go in level at the break. Reece Kelly put Village ahead for the first time, before Anth Cox’s 35 yard piledriver clinched a double for Lingdale.

Whitby Fishermens will consider themselves firmly in the race to go up, as they continued their strong recent form and hold a number of games in hand. They thumped basement side Middlesbrough Rovers 10-3. There were hat-tricks from Karl Storr and Phil Spencer, plus one each for Peter Scaife, Ian Smith, James Armstrong and Harry Smith. For Rovers, Daniel O’Brien, Adam Quinn and Lewis Schink found the net.

There were two games in the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield and both ended with defeat for our NRFL teams. A 4-4 draw saw Ben Cotts net twice for St Marys 1947, with Paul Vaughan and Matthew Scott also hitting the net. Visitors AAK clung on to win on penalties.

Redcar Newmarket also had a disappointing afternoon, losing 4-2 at Farsley Celtic. Michael Dowse and Ross Hodgson scored for Newmarket.

There were just two games on Sunday. In the NRFL Under 19 Division, Seaton Carew and Nunthorpe battled to a 1-1 draw while Thornaby and Ingleby Barwick returned to the top after winning at Coulby Newham. Jay McGeeney bagged a brace for Coulby, with Sam Richardson, Nathan Bradshaw, Aiden Middleton and Joseph Searby all notching for TIBS. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.